Court Smith focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation representing a variety of businesses and individuals, with a unique focus on counseling corporate and individual restaurant proprietors and food service industry companies. Mr. Smith regularly appears in courts across the State of Texas and handles both trial and appellate matters. He is admitted to practice before all courts in Texas, as well as the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Smith was a partner at Kilpatrick, Townsend & Stockton, LLP and Crouch & Ramey, LLP, both of which are litigation law firms with offices in Dallas, Texas, where his practice included commercial litigation and appeals, and food service law. He has served as the outside litigation counsel for a 650-unit restaurant chain for more than fifteen years and he has successfully defended restaurants against complex international franchise litigation, partnership disputes, vendor contract matters, personal injury lawsuits, and products liability claims. Mr. Smith has assisted his clients in corporate and franchise structuring, negotiation of contracts and leases, and organizational succession planning. Mr. Smith was recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer in 2016 and 2017, and was recognized as a Texas “Rising Star” in 2013 and the six years immediately preceding by Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazines.
Mr. Smith graduated magna cum laude from Austin College with a degree in political science in 1995 and earned a JD from the University of Texas School of Law in 1998. Mr. Smith and his wife live in Frisco, Texas and have two children. He is an active member and Executive Board member at St. Andrew United Methodist Church in Plano, Texas.
- Texas, 1998
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1998
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. – 1998
- Honors: Dean’s Award for Highest Achievement in Insurance Law, 1998
- Honors: Teaching Quizmasters 1997-1998
- Law Journal: The Review of Litigation, 1996 – 1998
- Austin College, Sherman, Texas
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude – 1995
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Member
- Dallas Bar Association, Member
- The Apartment Association of Greater Dallas, Approved Counsel